Re: hardware question : P2B and PIII 800

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Hector Akamine wrote:

> I have an ASUS P2B motherboard with a Pentium II 450 Mhz, and I want to
> replace the processor with a Pentium III 800 MHz. Would it work?

  Sorry I didn't see this message till today.  I was asking the same
question at about the same time.  The answer - and I hope it's still
relevant - that I got was that it depends on the onboard voltage
regulator chip (right between the ATX power connection and the back ports).
On the older P2Bs the serial number of that chip ends in ..CB (e.g.
HIP6019CB) and you're out of luck.  The 1.65V CPU just won't boot - I'm
told.  Some of the P2Bs (actually, P2BF - but not all of them) have a
voltage regulator chip with serial number ending in ...CBC and they
can work with the 1.65V Coppermine processors.

  Hope this may still be relevant.  Cheers, Dennis