Re: any future broadband rumors?

At 11:56 PM +0900 on 11/17/00, you wrote:

>If Microsoft were the only broadband provider in Japan, I'd stay with ISDN,
>thank you.

Looks like you'll have to. SpeedNet works only with Windows now, and Mac
sometime in the future. ZDNet Japan has article about their testbed in
Saitama.

http://www.zdnet.co.jp/news/0008/29/speednet.html

I also found another press release about the US/French/Japanese joint
venture currently doing a feasibility study into providing nationwide DSL
access:

http://63.146.125.10/news/pr/mitsui_print.html

If Garnet Communications has a Web site, I can't find it. And I find it
hard to believe the conclusion of their feasibility study would be to not
offer DSL in Japan. I guess it hinges a lot on how much NTT will charge to
provide access to their network.

What about satellite Internet access? Any rumors in that field?

>GOL will be offering ADSL starting Dec. 1 (and also Flets ISDN).  Look
>here for info:
>
>http://home.gol.com/personal/index_e.html

It looks like Flets could infiltrate my area within a year or so, but it a
paltry 64k. ASDL seems like it's still concentrated in Tokyo. It's been a
long time since I've bitched about Japan, but I feel the urge coming on.

>Richard> Since I live in the middle of nowhere
>
>Exactly where?

Nogi-machi, Tochigi. 0280 area code. Few businesses, lotsa rice.

>If you're really away from things, your best shot might be 128K
>ISDN dialup.

That was my plan--change the dedicated OCN line to dialup ISDN. The thing
is I'm really keen on being able to run a server from home since I won't be
able to play with the computers at the corporation I'm going to start
working for next month.

Rich