Re: Setting the language of a man page

On Wed, Nov 15, 2000 at 07:14:26PM +0900, Antony Stace wrote:
>  Hi Folks
>
> I have just installed Redhat Linux 7.0 Japanese version.  I have it
> configured so that when it boots ot goes to the GUI login screen.  When
> I log in I choose English as the language.  All the icons on the
> desktop,Gnome Applications and Netscape come up in English, however when
> I do a
>
> $man <command name>
>
> I get garbage, its not even in Japanese when inside a kterm.  What do I
> have to set so that I get English man pages.

Try
$ LANG=C man <command name>
If that works, put something in your .cshrc or .bashrc that sets $LANG
to "C" if $TERM is "xterm." It's an ugly kludge, but it may tide you over
when you're stuck on a distribution with a broken locales setting.

If even that doesn't work...you could try other workarounds, but I'd
recommend sanitizing your Red Hat CD with a microwave oven and buying yourself
a less broken distribution. After all, the whole point of using a distribution
instead of subscribing to the Chris Sekiya School of Hard Knocks ("compile
everything from scratch, RPM is for wimps") is to have other people fix
settings problems for you.

--
Shimpei Yamashita                               http://www.shimpei.org/