Encryption

Last week, I posted a query about the encryption system behind Adobe Acrobat
"encrypted PDF" files.  I was working on a little piece of writing for a
general-circulation Japanese law journal, and in the end I said very little
about encryption (safer, in any case, because I do NOT understand how that
stuff works!).

I promised to post a link to the text when it was finished.  There's nothing
in the piece of technical interest.  The main point of it is to whinge about
the use of "unprintable", "uncopyable" encrypted PDF files as the medium for
"publishing" Japanese law on the Web, a simple issue about which I have very
strong feelings.

A colleague has kindly translated the article into Japanese, and it will
appear in a column 「詳細の窓」, in the journal ジュリスト in the beginning
of January.  (Any expressions of surprise that I am actually publishing
something should be sent by PRIVATE mail, please :-)

The (current) URL of the English text for the article is:

  http://www.nomolog.nagoya-u.ac.jp/~bennett/encryption.html

The URL of the PDF files, in case anyone is interested in seeing the data that
ticked me off, is:

  http://kanpou.pb-mof.go.jp/

Cheers,
Frank Bennett