Re: Public News Servers

    Shimpei> On Thu, Oct 26, 2000 at 11:55:16AM +0900, Stephen
    Shimpei> J. Turnbull wrote:

    >> ume.cc.tsukuba.ac.jp used to be open and broken.  I don't know
    >> whether either characteristic has changed.

ume has moved to hagi.  I don't know whether Tsukuba-dai's
packet-sucker allows NNTP connections from outside, but it's
definitely open inside.

    Shimpei> I might have lost my BOFHish edge from all the non-techie
    Shimpei> work I've been doing in the last few months, but doesn't
    Shimpei> an open news server automatically imply a broken news
    Shimpei> server?

Not that I ever heard, unless I'm missing your point.

I don't think it's a bright thing to do, but I don't think it's broken
by definition.  It's been a while since I read the standards, though.