Re: CD-RW

Re: CDRW

>I am about to purchase my first CD-RW for a linux machine (going to
>Akihabara tomorrow).
>Anyone got any favorite makes/models that will install easily under RH
> >6.2?

This is a good resource for drive comparisons:
http://www.fadden.com/cdrfaq/faq05.html

I bought a Yamaha ATAPI drive 24x8x8x (which was around 19,000 yen or so), I
forget the model. The only problem was that I had to recompile the kernel to
enable SCSI emulation, and put a "append" parameter in LILO since CDRECORD
doesn't directly support ATAPI drives (only SCSI).

If you want to use the stock kernel that comes with RedHat, you'll find  a
SCSI CDRW much easier to install. The unfortunate part is that if you do not
already have a SCSI card (like me), you have to buy and install one of those
too.

BurnProof, a new Sanyo feature that has been licensed out to the world,
doesn't really matter with some of the latest drives and the cheap cost of
media, but you should look for a drive with lots of cache (the Yamaha has
4MB which is fairly standard now - avoid 2MB cache drives), and do test
burns to check your system speed. Burnproof is probably good when using your
CDR with less capable operating systems (or computers), and comes at a
premium. No playing Quake while buring either, unless you want a lot of CDR
Coasters. :^)

Cheers

Bryan Mark