RE: [Group Etiquette]

Ok - so be it.  I understand your concerns.

The job posting, however, is very clearly related to not only open source
but the linux platform.  I wouldn't be going to all of this trouble if I
didn't have as much dislike for NT and the microsoft hegemony as I do.  As
for a multimedia platform, through no faults of its own linux cannot compare
to other alternatives.  I'm looking to polish a few aspects of linux so that
I can use it for multimedia purposes however.

As for the open source aspect of the project, there are some components
which don't relate to existing open source projects (as there is nothing
close to what I need at the moment).  I may try to make these new
specialized applications open source if I think there is enough demand.

I've been down the academic path before - I understand the issues and the
fervor of open source advocates.  Sometimes it just gets in the way of
getting the job done, IMHO.  As you previously noted in a linux discussion,
Linus is a management genius to have pulled off something with the quality
and community backing of linux.  Managing a distributed Open Source project
is hard - much harder than managing smaller traditional application
developments.  There are payoffs for a long-term effort, but think the
up-front cost may be too high for small groups who are concerned with
time-to-market.

Anyway - thanks for the suggestions.  As for whether I would make my
specialized application open source or not, I think longer term we would.
Frankly because of our time constraints and the specialization of the app it
would not be possible in the short-term.

JS