RE: Linux/Mozilla related Short-Term Contract

    Jonathan> From: Stephen J. Turnbull [mailto:turnbull@example.com]

    >> [Folding it back in] is _exactly_ what you should be aiming at.
    >> Of course, you have a business to run, but how expensive would
    >> it be to

    Jonathan> Chris's initial comment was that he saw a source fork in
    Jonathan> the works.  Your comment is essentially that it should
    Jonathan> be one and submitted back in.

Huh?

In open source, having a private workspace doesn't mean a source fork.

I'm a core XEmacs developer; I have 2 Ivory-pure workspaces plus two
private ones.  If the experiments don't start building soon, they get
rm -rf'd; if they do, they get merged subject to approval.  Especially
if you're not a core developer, making big changes will likely demand
that you work outside of the main branch.  "Fork" is about intentions.

The reason Chris and I predict a fork, though, is not so much your
intentions (which are nowhere near as evident in your prose as you
seem to think), but rather the cultural constant that Japanization
projects don't get merged.

As I mentioned in my response to Chris's query about examples,
XEmacs's Mule port was done mostly by Ben Wing (core port; American)
and Martin Buchholz (dreadlocked XIM code; Canadian).  The existence
of Mule at all is due to rms's refusal to accept NEmacs patches.

I'd like to see you join the history of honorable gaiatsu in this
respect, even if you don't think the particular changes you need are
of "general interest."

    Jonathan> Later if the changes seem to be generally useful will
    Jonathan> submit back.

Why bother trying to figure out if they're "generally" useful?