Re: help needed with emacs. mule, euc-japan

SL Baur <steve@example.com> writes:

> Mike Fabian <mfabian@example.com> writes in tlug@example.com:
>
> > "Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:
> >> You also need a shell that can handle Japanese.  ash and bash don't
> >> like it, I forget whether zsh is any better.
>
> It isn't, alas.
>
> > Can you give an example of a problem with Japanese in bash?
>
> Easy.  The same example works in all of the shells, unfortunately.
>
> Type `echo "漢字' using your favorite flavor of XIM in a Japanese
> locale.  Now hit backspace.

I found patches for bash and readline which seem to fix this problem
(partly):

    ftp://ftp.ipc.chiba-u.ac.jp/pub/pub.yamaga/readline/readline-4.0.jpatch.990315
    ftp://ftp.ipc.chiba-u.ac.jp/pub/pub.yamaga/bash/bash-2.03.jpatch.990305.gz

There is another one based on bash-2.03.jpatch.990305.gz with some
additional small changes at:

    http://hangul.kldp.org/bash/bash-2.03-euc.patch

I just tested that applying readline-4.0.jpatch.990315 and
bash-2.03-euc.patch, solves the above Problem for Japanese and Korean.

But this isn't a perfect solution as it just moves the Problem into
other languages. For example editing of German in bash becomes broken
after applying these patches:

Enter something containing German umlauts, then hit backspace.  Now
hitting backspace will delete two characters at once.  Cutting and
pasting with the mouse also behaves strange as soon as German
umlauts are involved: after pasting a single German umlaut nothing
is visible. After pasting another one or typing any other character,
two characters appear at once.

If one is sure that one will use only Korean and Japanese, but never
other languages, these patches might be acceptable, but if one also
uses German, I think these patches make it much worse.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>