Re: ethner card problem

I completed my first kernel recompilation attempt, but unfortunately I got
an error message at the end that the system is too big and that I should
consider modules or something (somehow cannot find, where I saved this
message).

I did diff with the old and new config, and checked the help file, and found
that out of some reasons symmetric multi processing was switched on as well
as CONFIG_IDEDMA_AUTO, CONFIG_SKB_LARGE and a few language pages.

And this can make the kernel so big, although I had switched off
CONFIG_NETDEVICES? Anyway, I read Configure.help and decided I could switch
these configurations off and make the language pages modules again.

First I tried 'make kpkg-clean' but I got:

make: *** No rule to make target 'kpkg-clean'.  Stop.

Next I did menuconfig. When I then did 'make-kpkg --revision=uli+0
kernel_image' I got:

Warning: The uli+0 option only has an effect during
the configure phase -- in other words, since the file
stamp-configure exists, this option has no effect
run make-kpkg clean or  if you know what you are doing,
manually remove stamp-debian, stamp-configure and
debian/changelog for it to have an effect
Please hit return to continue

Then it seemed to go on with compiling, just that I noticed a lot of
warnings about previous definitions. So I decided to kill this and ask for
further instructions.

Uli