Re: B5 laptop recommendations?

Grendel (grendel@example.com) wrote:

Grendel> > even consider anything else.  That's how sweet the Thinkpad 240 is.
Grendel>
Grendel> Dare I ask... what OS is on it?

That Other Operating System (it's a must for that machine to run 3Com
Total Control Manager, so we have little choice there), unfortunately.
But I'm not aware of anything odd in the hardware that would stop it
from working with Linux or *BSD, if you wanted to do that.

Grendel> Also... any weak points to it?

Some people might consider a 10 inch screen to be a weak point
in a notebook, but we see that as a plus, since small size, light
weight were major criteria for us.  And it has a real serial port,
the only notebook in its size class that had this feature.  We were
already sold on it, but that clinched it.  USB serial ports are
probably fine, but in a machine that's going to be lugged around
and plugged into remote routers, we really wanted a regular old
9-pin RS-232 serial port.  Something we know will always work.

The LCD is clear and sharp, the keys are big and have a good
touch, and it's just a great machine.  I can't think of a single
negative thing to say about it.

Jonathan