japanese mutt & rh 6.2

Hello,

I just compiled a japanese mutt following the hints on kikutani's page.
It seems to work, but the screen becomes ugly very quickly - because
mutt just refuses to clear the screen when switching modes.
The work around is to press ^L frequently (basically after each scroll
action)...

Any idea? This is a standard Red Hat 6.2 installation, and the problem
goes away if I use xterm instead of kterm (but then there are no kanjis)

-Klaus