Re: Getting suspend mode working in Linux...is it possible

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 01:09:20PM +0900, Antony Stace wrote:

> Is it possible to get suspend mode working in Linux with X(I mean the
> button on Laptops which basically stores everything to some sort of
> flash memory and then when the computer is turned on again it simply
> loads all this information back to memory so all your apps(well most of
> them) are still running how they were before you turned it off).  It
> seems to work when not in X, but when trying it with X, X dies in a big
> way.

On a Vaio 771, I suspend with:

  CTRL-ALT-F1
  Suspend via keyboard (quickly snapping the power switch in this case)

On the infrequent occasions when I use suspend instead of sleep, the machine
has come back.  Not so when I tried suspend (by whatever means) in X.  I
don't know why, but that's my experience in the field, as it were.  Now I
always go to a character console first.

Cheers,
Frank Bennett