Re: Getting suspend mode working in Linux...is it possible

Hi Anthony,

There's two kinds of suspend or sleep modes out there that I've come
across, and the exact name and implementiation of each will probably
differ depending on the laptop maker and the OS. One powers down as much
of the system as possible but draws a trickle of battery power to
maintain whatever's in RAM. The other does much the same but goes much
further: It stores everything that was in RAM in a specialized partition
on the hard drive and powers down almost completely. On a Dell Latitude
laptop I used to use at my last job, Partition Magic showed this
partition to be of "Type 84". There was never any flash memory involved,
just a dedicated partition on the hard drive that had to be slightly
bigger than the available RAM. The laptops came from my (now
ex-)company's internal thought police with extra RAM that must have been
added after the partition's creation thus breaking the suspend-to-disk
feature. This necessitated illicit resizing of the special partition
with PM and recreation of it with a tool downloadable from Dell. So even
if you find it necessary to add or resize such a partition, in principle
you won't have to wipe the machine.

Come to think of it, Dell is now selling Latitudes pre-loaded with
RedHat. If you have a look around their support site, they might have
the answer to your very question.

-grendel