Re: hardware doctors!

Do u know what make are the drives? The clicking is pretty common on Western Digitals. The ones Ive used somehow start working again after a few hard taps. Just hope youre not using Fujitsu or some other unreliable make. Fujitsus seem to give a lot of read/write problems, bad blocks and physical errors, even on new ones.

You should be able to send it to the maker if its still under manufacturers warranty (usually around 3 years) or try to get a disk utility (usually only works in dos) form the maker to repair defects if its not too serious.

If you can boot to a shell you should be able to run e2fsck on the drive although im not sure how to check for bad blocks with it.

Good luck.

A.Sajjad Zaidi

Ulrike Schmidt wrote:

 The patient is a Aptiva with two harddrives, one is running Windows (hda), the other one RedHat Linux (hdb). Since I did not manage to connect Redhat to ISDN I am doing my mail with Windows. When I came back after a long vacation and started up Windows I heard strange sounds comming out of what I think was one of the harddrives. It was kind of a loud scratching, and sometimes also some strange clicking, and seemed to me as if the read/write head was going long ways. But I thought maybe the machine was always so loud and I had just forgotten over using more silent machines the last weeks, and Windows was running without any problems. When I tried to boot linux I got the the usual startup messages up to: Starting X Font server: But then (I was not quick enough with copying by hand, there might be some small mistakes): Starting linuxconf hdb: irq timeout: status=0xd0 {Busy}ide0: reset: successhdb: irq timeout: status=0xd0 {Busy}ide0: reset timed out, status =0x80hdb: status timout: status=0x80 {Busy}hdb: dirve not ready for commandend_request: I/O eerror, dev 03:46 (hdb, sector 7160)hdb: drive not ready for command ... and an endless repetition of some of the lines with different sector numbers. I had to take the machine down by pulling the cord. I thought maybe some cables got loose and finally dared to open the case, but all I could reach to seemed ok and anyway I have only vague ideas what is where, but my impression is that the strange sounds are comming from hda and nothing from hdb, which would make sense to me, since hdb seems not be ready for command. What might be the problem, what could I do, any recommendations? As always a lot of thanks in advance, Uli