debian upgrading problem

As I wrote the other day I could connect to the internet with slink, but now I wanted to risk an upgrade of at least some packages. However, when I try to do so I get error messages regarding the CDs, not matter whether I use dselect, apt-get or dpkg:

    Err cdrom:<name of currently not mounted cd and program/>
      Wrong CD
    Upgrading with disk swapping is not supported in this version.
    Try running multiple times with  --fix-missing

But --fix-missing ends with a similar message and:

    Unable to correct missing packages

First I thought I might have to update dpkg et al., but they all seem to be updated. So which program could it be of which this version does not support upgrading with disk swapping?

Uli