PPP Trouble

This has probably been discussed here before, but ppp acts really wierd
most of the time on my machine.

My modem is fine and i am able to connect to the ISP. I can ping
anywhere so its not dns or some other network related problem, but
I cant do anything else. http just gives "Request sent, waiting for
reply" (lynx and netscape) and other services just keep waiting too.

This happens randomly. If i reboot, make a new connection (e.g. ppp1) or
change to a different user, it may start working, but most of the time
im forced to start up Win.....

"ppp" and "ppp deflate compression" is built into the kernel and all
else seems to be fine. I usually keep trying for 4 or 5 times before
giving up.

Thanks.

A.Sajjad Zaidi