Re: RedHat 6.1 and Japanese

Christopher Sekiya <wileyc@example.com> writes:

> The bone that I was picking was the nasty tendency of distros to change things
> from the default just for the sake of change.

[...]

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/2.0/fhs-4.1.html :

FHS> Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
FHS>
FHS> 4.1 /usr/X11R6 : X Window System, Version 11 Release 6
FHS>
FHS> This hierarchy is reserved for the X Window System, version 11 release
FHS> 6, and related files.
FHS>
FHS> To simplify matters and make XFree86 more compatible with the X Window
FHS> System on other systems, the following symbolic links should be
FHS> present:
FHS>
FHS>     /usr/bin/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/bin
FHS>     /usr/lib/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/lib/X11
FHS>     /usr/include/X11 -> /usr/X11R6/include/X11
FHS>
FHS> In general, software should not be installed or managed via the above
FHS> symbolic links. They are intended for utilization by users only.

It was not my intention to confuse anybody by giving a distribution
specific answer. I personally have the habit to use /usr/bin/X11
rather than /usr/X11R6/bin, because it is easier to type, and the FHS
kindly allows me as a user to do this.

I found these links in place on most Linux systems I worked on, and
even on some non-Linux systems.

--
Mike Fabian   <mfabian@example.com>