Re: Web pages & Jp. text -THANKS ALL

Thanks to all who helped me on this:

Tod McQuillin
Grendel
Hiroyuki Ohba
Jonathan Byrne

Tod's succinct reply solved my dilemma.   I'm sure this is not a
new issue for old-hands here, but your help is *really* appreciated.

> Fetch seems to either drop or choke on the 8th 1 bit... (Grendel)

Yes Grendel, Fetch was the culprit.
I plead guilty to a blind spot.  I'd uploaded the file numerous
times, and to two different Debian boxes, with no improvement.
So I'm afraid I didn't even contemplate an ftp client problem.

> I hate to ask this, but the encoding in the browser is
> set for Japanese auto-detect, right?  (Jonathan)

Yes, auto-detect all along, that's why I thought those metatag
perambulations were probably wasted time...but when you're desperate,
and your experience with JP_OSs/JP_web-pages is limited .......

... but thanks also for the extra: s-jis / www.w3c.org etc. info.

> it's kind of embarrassing to be serving up SJIS..

At this stage I'm not even sure what JP code variety is online..
..whatever Japanese SimpleText/JLK produces.  That's how far back
on the learning curve I am at the moment, but we'll get there.
... with a little help from friends :)

However, it's working ... and my colleague is happy... for now.

Thanks again all.
David