Gateway Solo's ethernet card

I've got a wonderful laptop computer, Gateway Solo 3150. (Not my own
:-( I installed RedHat 6.2, everything is great except for its
built-in ethernet card.

I found somewhere on the Net that the card is 3Com Hurricane 3c555
which is a version of 3c905b Cyclone card. Don't know if it is true
though.

There's a Linux Solo FAQ at
http://www.uni-essen.de/~mat930/solo3100.htm. It says that a 3cxxx
driver should work. Well, it doesn't.

I can ping a computer on the same network, but telnet and ftp time out
with errors "Unable to connect to remote host: Connection timed out"
(telnet) and "Could not connect to 192.168.1.3: No route to host."
(ncftp).

I also experienced a very strange behavior at the company's LAN.

What is weird, that ifconfig for eth0 interface displays the ethernet
card address as

>>HWaddr FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF

I think it's something wrong with the driver. I tried all 3c* drivers
that come with RedHat 6.2, nothing changes.

If someone has the same model, they might help me...

Thanks.

Viktor