Epson LP800-S & Linux

Was wondering whether anyone has successfully been able to get an Epson
LP800-S printer working with Linux (this model only available in Japan).
Unfortunately seems to be a new breed of printer where the print processing
is done on the source computer.

Otherwise any recommendations for an inexpensive laser printer that works
correctly with Linux?  Though I like postscript and know postscript-based
printers are the easiest to setup with any OS, the licensing premium makes
these printers unnecessarily expensive.  I would hope to be spending between
4-8man.

cheers

Jonathan Shore
E-Publishing Group K.K.