Re: tlug: Toshiba T1910CS - 110M hard disk

[Late reply.]

Tony Laszlo <laszlo@example.com> writes:

> I downloaded Debian 2.1 distribution hoping to
> install it in a tiny laptop (Toshiba Satellite
> T1910CS, 486, 8M ram, 110M HD).
[:]
> I would have thought that Debian would be okay
> on a machine with these specs. Any idea of what's
> going wrong? Maybe I should try an older version?

I have a T1900C/200 at home (with a flaky power supply :-() on which I
was running Debian unstable until early last year.  It could boot
until recently...  It has 20MB of RAM though.

When I bought in 1993 with 8MB of RAM, I installed Slackware on it
(from floppies) and ran both X and Emacs !  Those were the days...

Jens

ps 110MB is not a lot of HD.  It will be quite tight but you should be
able to get a minimal installation plus some extras.  When I went
round Denden Town in Osaka with it a some years ago asking about HD
upgrades this poor i486SX 20MHz machine got quite a lot of nasty
laughs and smiles from the staff in the shops.  ``You can leave in
that cardboard box over there by the door marked "Junk" on your way
out...''