Re: swap partition too small

Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com> writes:

> Tony Laszlo (laszlo@example.com) wrote:
>
> > all over again, but am wondering if there is
> > a way to carve out a portion of the hard disk
> > for swap at this stage of the game. Something
>
> Search Freshmeat for GNU partd (or parted?).  It's still fairly beta,
> I believe, and don't know how well it will work, but it might save you
> >from a reinstall.  In the worst case, if it breaks your file system
> you'll still have to reinstall.

I used GNU parted-1.0.5-pre2 some time ago to resize a partition and
it worked very well. I didn't even have to reboot, I just did the
following:

   - unmount the partition,
   - make it smaller with parted
   - created some new partitions in the now empty region of the disk
   - write filesystems to the new partitions
   - edit /etc/fstab
   - mount -a

it's really nice to be able to do this without a reboot.

--
Mike Fabian   <mike.fabian@example.com>