Re: tlug: Compact flash readers under Linux

On Sat, Jun 10, 2000 at 01:58:38PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne wrote:

> (on a slight aside, those who've been dabbling in bleeding-edge
> kernels, how good is the USB support?  If I get a USB camera,
> should I expect it will probably work?).

The support is still pretty twitchy.  My Athlon box has an OHCI controller,
into which I've plugged Logitech keyboard and trackballs, a Rio 500, and a
Zip 250 drive.

Although the HID seems to work okay as of 2.4.0-pre1 (i.e., hitting a key
or moving the mouse will turn on the display if it's in powersaving mode --
it didn't used to work properly), the mass storage driver used by the Zip drive
regularly freezes the machine.  Uploading songs to the Rio is a crap shoot, too.

How stable it will be for you, will depend heavily on the specific model of
camera that you want to use.  Each has its own driver, with wildly varying
code quality.

-- Chris
Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA