Re: tlug: META tags in perl scripts

On Wed, 7 Jun 2000 shimpei@example.com wrote:

>  Do you see the difference? And why the "Refresh" CONTENT="0" tag messes up
>  your browser while "Expires" doesn't? And why the "Refresh" tag annoys the
>  hell out of people with metered ISDN lines who have to turn off the auto-
>  dialing feature of their ISDN modems because stupid web pages try to update
>  themselves every so often and run up the phone bill in the process?

That's not relevant in the present case as the Refresh tag was put into
the cgi output and linked to file.html, not directly in file.html. So no
repeated refreshes will happen.

I don't see why the original meta tag with Refresh = "0;
URL=htpp://wherever.com/file.html" does not work as expetcted (it works
with netscape here). Of course file.html may still come from the cache
--- "Expires = 0" in file.html will avoid exactly that.

By the way not all browsers honour the refres tag. (I think lynx
doesn't).

Stephen Turnbull writes

>  Um, on second thought, what "refresh" directive?

>  It doesn't seem to exist in the standards.  Do you have an URL?

>  Really, this seems to be a browser bug.  It should treat "refresh" the
>  same way it treats "cookies" (and other probably radioactive sludge).

The standard says on the METAtag:
<http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/head/meta.html>

  There is no standard list of META properties, so authors may define
  whatever metadata they like.

   <snip>

  The HTTP-EQUIV attribute may be used in place of the NAME attribute to
  indicate that the property is an HTTP header. Some servers will send
  the HTTP header specified in the META element, and browsers often
  recognize the header even when it is not sent by the
  server.
  Examples:

  <snip>

  <META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="10; URL=http://www.htmlhelp.com/">

  tells the browser to load http://www.htmlhelp.com/ 10 seconds after
  the current document has finished loading. Not all browsers support
  this, so authors should provide an alternate means of moving to the
  new page where necessary.

  <snip>

Selva

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA