Re: tlug: META tags in perl scripts

> >  Did you try putting
> >  <META HTTP-EQUIV="Expires" CONTENT="0">
> >  in the header of file.html?
>
> That works. For some reason the browser does not like the "Refresh" meta
> option.
> Technically they should be doing the same thing--one saying "the contents
> expire after 0 seconds so reload" and the other saying "Reload after waiting
> zero seconds".

Uh-uh. Think about it.

* The "Refresh" directive says: "Reload me again--NOW!!!! AND YOU'D BETTER
  OBEY THE REFRESH DIRECTIVE ON THE RELOADED COPY TOO!!!!!!"

* The "Expires" directive says: "I'm out of date, so If somebody asks for me
again, you'll need to reload me at that point."

Do you see the difference? And why the "Refresh" CONTENT="0" tag messes up
your browser while "Expires" doesn't? And why the "Refresh" tag annoys the
hell out of people with metered ISDN lines who have to turn off the auto-
dialing feature of their ISDN modems because stupid web pages try to update
themselves every so often and run up the phone bill in the process?

Shimpei.

Next Meeting (w/ YLUG): June 16 (Fri) 19:00 Mizonoguchi Marui Family 12F
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat)  13:30 Topic: TBA