Re: tlug: Re: rpms

I install tarballs into the usually default '/usr/local' path, but i just compiled gnome 1.2 and gave '--prefix=/usr' option to the configure script.

Anything wrong with that or should i first remove the older version? I downloaded all 32 tarballs from the gnome website and had to configure everyone seperately. I installed all in /usr. Seems to be ok, but just worried about dead files or future problems.

Sajjad Zaidi

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 06:29:42PM +0200, Mike Fabian wrote:
> Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com> writes:
>
> > My practice is generally not use RPMs, except those that come with
> > the distro CD.  I prefer source tarballs, which all get installed
> > in /usr/local/.
>
> I do the same, but I don't install the stuff compiled from source in
> /usr/local but rather in /opt/stow/name-of-program+version-number.
> The command

Hmmm. I hadn't heard of stow. I'll have a look for an BINARY RPM so that
I can install it on my machine... Just kidding :-) Despite my earlier mails
I'm still not happy with any of the package management systems out there as
they are. I'll have a look for it and see how it works.

Thanks,

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd