Re: tlug: errr mail program?

On Wed, 31 May 2000, k0n wrote:

>      i'm just wondering is there a good mail program for linux.. the one like
> M$ Outlook style.. that can handle diff. pop's and sendmail server .. and diff

I don't know anyone around here who would call Outlook or Outlook
Express (two completely different things) good mail clients.

Fortunately, there are many good mail clients available for Linux, to
fit various definitions of "good."  Graphical mail clients no longer fit
my definition of good very closely, so I use mutt at work and pine at
home.  But if you search Freshmeat, you'll find tons of mail clients of
all types.  <http://www.freshmeat.net/>

I'm not sure how many of them do Japanese, but some probably do.  One
that does do Japanese but that might not be on Freshmeat is nmail, which
you can find at ftp://ftp.turbolinux.co.jp/pub/nmail if you want to try
it out.

Balsa is one you might want to check out, too.  And of course, Xemacs
has has a couple of mail clients in it.

As for popping, my weapon of choice is fetchmail.  It works well, can
run as a daemon, and doesn't tie your popping to your mail
client.  When popping is tied ot the mail client, trying a new one or
switching can mean typing all of your pop settings in over again.

Jonathan

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA