Re: tlug: Up and running again - thank God - but why?

Dennis McMurchy (denismcm@example.com) wrote:

> doesn't come on.  Hours or days later, with everything else disconnected
> from the box itself, I plug it in and it fires up right away - without
> the power switch being touched at all.

Others have detailed possible causes for why it doesn't power up,
but this behavior is explainable by ATX soft power.  It's probably
set to auto power-up when power comes on to the system.  Just because
you pushed the off button on an ATX, that doesn't necessarily mean
it's powered off.  This holds true for any electrical equipment,
but especially ATX machines: ALWAYS unplug the power from the wall
before working on the machine.  Even if you powered if off, stuff
may still be live.

Jonathan Byrne <j-byrne@example.com>               Engineering Division
Exodus Communications K.K./Global Online Japan      http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1702        Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA