Re: tlug: telnet: different question + others

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 12:30:58PM +0900, B0Ti wrote:

> Login access is denied from every host except the machines of the
> computerroom. They changed this because last year I could happily log in
> from home.

This is probably not entirely true as it makes sysadmining these machines
that bit harder if the SA has to come to the lab, to work on the machines
etc. I would search around the machines in the lab to see where logins
are coming from, check commands like who and last. It may be still possible
to still login from home by linking through a couple of machines assuming
you have an account on all systems.

> I thought about making a cron job that would log in before class and log
> out after, but dunno exactly what command to execute.

Cron maybe disabled, but if it is not, it may be possible. The main problem
is getting a terminal and a utmp entry so that you show up in w. Then
you'll also have to try to emulate doing something, as idle time will
show up with w. As to how to get the terminal, I don't know. I'm not familar
with a lot of hacks out there, but since you already have machine access I
guess that it may be possible to write a program to do it without getting
to heavy.

> Is it possible with telnet or only ssh?

If your going to try the telnet root, then I guess you have to use something
like expect which just might do the trick, although it means that you'll be
leaving your password hardcoded in one of your files/crontabs depending on how
you code your script. A good way to name this file is something like ".  " and
make sure that you are the only one with read permissions, but your SAs will be
able to read it if they find it wierd enough to look at.

Of course, you should really go to the labs :-)

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd
tom@example.com