Re: tlug: Fighting with Real Player

    Uva> On Mon, 29 May 2000 jq@example.com wrote:
    >> When starting Real Player, it says it can't connect to the
    >> sound device, another application might be using it.  I haven:t
    >> tracked down by what it is, or if real player is just nuts.
    >> The sound card does work, anyway.

    Uva> I've had this happen to me before when using XFCE with
    Uva> icewm. I turned off the sound settings in XFCE, then
    Uva> realplayer worked fine. If you don't use XFCE, I would say
    Uva> that your culprit is in your window manager
    Uva> settings. Which window manager are you using?

ESD is known to do this kind of stuff.  ESD is a good idea, it's sad
that it had already been done better multiple times (NAS, rplay,
Xaudio; take your pick, all are much better design than ESD, except
that ESD works the way Windows does, so any moron can program for it).
ESD takes ownership of the resource and doesn't give it back; sure
it's more polite now, but that's the way ESD thinks---when somebody
screams, they're pretty good about making it more polite, but it's
still poor design.  Anyway, every so often somebody comes up with a
different way of accessing the sound resources and ESD is jama-ing
(not to be confused with jammin') again.

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA