Re: tlug: RH mixing rpms and source

On Sun, May 28, 2000 at 01:26:27PM -0000, Simon Cozens wrote:
> In lists.tlug, you wrote:
> >At 17:02 00/5/28 +0900, you wrote:
> >> How do people usually keep on the bleeding edge of software releases and
> >> still keep the rpm system happy?
> >
> >You could choose downloading the rpms from RedHat's rawhide directory.
> >They keep the latest (thus unstable) versions there.
>
> Spot the difference:
>     They keep the latest software releases there.
>     They keep the latest software releases that someone has bothered to make
>     into an RPM there.

Thanks to all for responding... My mail was initially inspired by wanting to
upgrade X to 4.0 but I couldn't find the rpm's anywhere and thus upgrading
was going to make my system that little bit unhappier. Searching around again
this afternoon, I discovered rpmfind.net and discovered the redhat built
packages available there. I don't mind compiling and installing most packages
in /usr/local but I was wondering if that was really what I should do with
X as it is a core package. I'm happier now that I found the rpms though :-)

Cheers,

Tom.
--
Thomas O'Dowd