Re: tlug: Linux/BSD LPD print setup question

On Thu, May 18, 2000 at 11:22:36AM -0700, Scott M. Stone wrote:

> how do I make it
> (sorry for the reference, but..) act more like Windows, wherein I send the
> raw data to the print server, and the print server does the conversions
> and sends it to the physical device..?

I don't know about modern times, but five or six years ago I solved this
problem by installing LPRng, a drop-in replacement for the LPR kit that
adds this among other features.

If I remember correctly, you can specify the printer in printcap as
"lp=laserjet@example.com" and everything works a treat.  I
think you need to have the LPRng kit installed on both the server and the
client, but only to take advantage of the enhanced functionality; LPRng
can handle jobs from LPR-regular when it needs to.

Hope this helps,
----
-x80
Frank G Bennett, Jr         @@
Faculty of Law, Nagoya Univ () email: bennett@example.com
Tel: +81[(0)52]789-2239     ()

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA