tlug: Linux/BSD LPD print setup question

This is a bit odd, in my opinion... on a Linux box (or anything running
BSD LPD, ie, Sunos4), when I submit a job LOCALLY, it passes it through
the ghostscript filter and everything's happy, etc.  However, if a print
client on the network submits a job, lpd sends the raw data to the printer
without running it through ghostscript first.  why?  how do I make it
(sorry for the reference, but..) act more like Windows, wherein I send the
raw data to the print server, and the print server does the conversions
and sends it to the physical device..?

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), 19:00   Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting: July 8 (Sat) 13:30   Topic: TBA