Re: tlug: The simplest possible printer puzzle

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Scott M. Stone wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Apr 2000, Dennis McMurchy wrote:
> >   I just get this error message (with any of lp0,1 or 2):
> > bash: /dev/lp1: No such device
>
> try:
> modprobe parport_pc
> modprobe lp
>
> then try again.  I think the hardware driver on your system is modular and
> needs to be inserted.

  Scott, thankyou so much!  That did the trick.  Would anyone care to
comment on the 'wisdom' of modularizing the _printer_ driver, though?
I'm not exactly a newbie and I was sure stumped.

> PS - there's no 'g' in 'Linux'.  Contrary to what RMS wants you to think.

  I'll tell you something:  if there were no GNU in Lignux, I for one
would not still be using it five years later.  Wouldn't anyone have
quickly tired of playing  with a toy kernel that had no real software.
The kickstart was (and maybe still is) GNU.  Surely, we all owe RMS at
least as much as we owe Linus.

  Thanks again, Scott.  Cheers,  Dennis

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.