Re: tlug: Debian - deselect problem ...

>     Ulrike> Ok, next problem ... I tried to install some packages with
>     Ulrike> deselect and at the end of "install" I get a message that
>     Ulrike> errors were encountered while processing .
>     Ulrike> /libcgi-perl_2.76-7.deb. From what I understand from the
>     Ulrike> messages before it tries to overwrite a file with a
>     Ulrike> different one and that does not seem to be allowed. Now,
>     Ulrike> what can I do?
>
> This shouldn't happen; dselect is supposed to install using the
> --force-overwrite option to dpkg.  It should say "but doing it anyway
> as you request because --force is set".  I'm not sure how that
> situation occurs (probably they screwed up the control info in the
> package database), but what you need to do is find the location of the
> package archive file (eg, the directory on a CD or if you use apt for
> remote d/l and install, /var/cache/apt/archive/) and do
>
> dpkg -i --force-overwrite $ARCHIVE_PATH/libcgi-perl_2.76-7.deb

Unfortunately it did not work (thanks, Selva, for the error-redirecting
instructions :-):

(Reading database ... 43532 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libcgi-perl (from .../web/libcgi-perl_2.76-7.deb) ...
Adding `diversion of /usr/lib/perl5/CGI/Carp.pm to /usr/lib/perl5/CGI/
Carp_dist.pm by libcgi-perl'
dpkg-divert: rename involves overwriting `/usr/lib/perl5/CGI/Carp_dist.pm' with
  different file `/usr/lib/perl5/CGI/Carp.pm', not allowed
dpkg: error processing dists/slink/main/binary-all/web/libcgi-perl_2.76-7.deb (-
-install):
 subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2
Update-menus: waiting for dpkg to finish(forking to background)
Update-menus: (checking /var/lib/dpkg/lock)
No diversion `diversion of /usr/lib/perl5/CGI/Carp.pm to /usr/lib/perl5/CGI/
Carp_dist.pm by libcgi-perl', none removed
No diversion `diversion of /usr/man/man3/CGI::Carp.3pm.gz to /usr/man/man3/
CGI::Carp_dist.3pm.gz by libcgi-perl', none removed
 dists/slink/main/binary-all/web/libcgi-perl_2.76-7.deb

Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: Crypto and Security	Speaker: Chris Sekiya
Next Nomikai Meeting: June 16 (Fri), Tengu TokyoEkiMae.