Re: tlug: graphics cards recommendations

> I do read Japanese, so I will take a look at that site. Thank you, Shin.
>
> I am thinking about either selling my two desktops and buying a new one, or
> selling just one and upgrading the other. I am moving over to an all-SCSI
> system, or trying to, at least. I would like to upgrade to an Athlon
> motherboard and an AGP video card that is fully Linux compatible while
> having a generous amount of video RAM. I know that I can look at the
> hardware compatibility list, but that same list for Red Hat 6.1 states that
> the Asus 2740 i740 (?) is supported, but when I install, I can't use
> anything but 640 X 480 resolution, which means that every time I open a
> window, it is larger than the viewable area of my screen. So can anyone
> recommend a graphics card for Linux that is not only compatible but also
> enables full use of the card's capabilities?

Well, I would say from a 2D persoective Matrox cards work like a charm. If
you want full support for the 3D features of the card I think that the
3dfx cards offer the highest level of performance under linux, but I would
still recommend getting the Matrox and waiting for the DRI drivers for X 4.0
or simply going throught the trouble to install the Utah-GLX patches for
X3.5-6
or simply going throught the trouble to install the Utah-GLX patches for
X3.5-6. Either way, you will have great 2D OOTB with the Matrox card.

Matt Doughty BOT BSC Japan
Next Nomikai Meeting: April 20 (Thu) Linux Conference 2000 Spring Ed.
Next Technical Meeting: May 13 (Sat) 13:30 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD