Re: tlug: "boot partition too big" while installing RH6.1j

On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 11:31:28AM +0100, Marcus Metzler wrote:
> Hector Akamine writes:
>> I recently got a computer (Dell XPS800) with a 20GB hard disk. It came
>>with only one windows 98 partition, so I run fips to divide it in two. I
>
> Due to BIOS limitations the boot partition has to be within the first
> 1024 tracks. Since you have 10.5GB for windoze, your linux partition
> is far beyond that limit. You have to make a small partition within
> the first 1024 tracks from which you can boot. The rest of your linux
> stuff can be somewhere else.

I believe another option (since you already have Win98 installed) is to boot
with loadlin.  loadlin is a DOS program that can load your kernel image from
a file on your DOS partition.  You can use the Windows/DOS CONFIG.SYS file
to select either Windows or to cause your AUTOEXEC.BAT to use loadlin to
boot Linux.  During installation, you can "skip" the LILO installation and
make a bootable floppy.  You can then copy the bootable kernel to your
Windows partition in preparation for using loadlin.

--
Jim Tittsler, Tokyo   ICQ: 5981586

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae