tlug: Japanese intro and Redhat-jp

Hi James, welcome to the club.

>     Well, I've finally had some time to poke around with Linux again.  So
>I'm back at trying to get Japanese support up and running.  I have
>installed Kinput2, Kterm and Canna.  Kterm can display Japanese, but how do
>I know if Kinput2 and Canna are working?  Are there any docs/howto's for
>them?

First, do ps -aux, and see if the following 2 are running;

/usr/sbin/cannaserver
kinput2 -canna

or the likes of it. If not, start them. make sure that your kinput2
supports canna by typing

kinput2 -version

If you see "options: [Canna2]", then you're OK. If not, get a copy that
supports it.
Next, make sure canna can talk with other apps. check /usr/services for the
following line;

canna    8680/tcp

If you don't have it, add it. It has been observed that you can get away
without having this, but it's better to play by the rules.
Next, gotta set some environmental variables. (I assume you're a bash guy)

export LANG="ja_JP.ujis"
export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2"

Now, you should be doing so-so OK. Then, you need to start editing the dot
files, because by default, kterm (and others) are unwilling to give away
the keyboard input to Kinput2.

Add this in your .Xdefaults file: (the Yen sign is supposed to be a backslash)

Kterm*VT100*translations:     #override \
    shift<key>space:                  begin-conversion(_JAPANESE_CONVERSION)
KTerm*allowSendEvents:         true

While you have your editor handy, create a file ~/.inputrc that contains;

    set convert-meta off
    set meta-flag on
    set output-meta on

OK, you should be all set (maybe not...)

>     I've also heard that redhat has a Japanese version, but I can't find it
>on their website.  Is it there?

Supposedly http://www.jp.redhat.com/ is it, but it's just a translation of
the English one, doesn't do anything for Japanese users, and a lot of info
that they promised on their docs inside the shrinkwrap wasn't there, so
they won't be much help.

If you want the distro itself, you're better off looking for a Magazine
giveaway CDs. And as a distro, RedHat-jp doesn't really shine.  I'd go with
Vine Linux, or recently Kondara MNU/Linux is what I'm using; both are
truely "better RedHat" in terms of Japanese IMHO.

Next Technical Meeting: March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: "What's new in Perl 5.6"
Guest speaker: Simon Cozens (TLUG Perl guru)
Next Nomikai Meeting:   April 21 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae