Re: tlug: tex/dvips to pdf: dekiru?

Stephen J. Turnbull (lists.tlug):
>pdftex probably will do a better job as it generates the output
>without going through ghostscript AFAIK.  Very soon Ghostscript output
>will be nearly as good as Adobe's if you can get the fonts, but at the
>moment Adobe lossage makes it very hard.

pdftex does do a much better job, but for different reasons. It's
because pdftex uses the Type I CM fonts provided by the AMS, rather
than trying to PostScriptize the Metafont pks.

>(I don't do PDFs, they're not searchable or editable.)

Amen.

>    John> font that's not one of the 14 standard postscript fonts.  I
>    John> don't think I'm doing this.
>You are, I suspect.  The 14 standard fonts are helvetica, courier, et
>al.  acrobat.map uses several others IIRC (could be wrong, but I think
>I remember Peter bitching about this too).

Computer Modern is by no means a standard font. :)

Really, these are METAFONT issues more than PDF ones.

--
The human mind ordinarily operates at only ten percent of its capacity
-- the rest is overhead for the operating system.