Re: tlug: Linux vs ASUS K7M / Athlon 550

On Mon, 14 Feb 2000, Christopher Sekiya wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 06:08:15PM -0800, Scott M. Stone wrote:
>
> > anyway, I got the Asus K7M motherboard, which has an Ultra DMA/66 IDE
> > controller on-board.  Is this going to fly with Linux or am I royally
> > screwed?
>
> A late-model 2.3 series kernel will work okay.  For 2.2, get the UDMA patch
> (do a search on the linux-kernel archives) ... I'll guarantee that the on-board
> controller isn't a Promise, and therefore won't be supported by my patch.

I'll check for the patch.  It seems to work OK now, at least for
installing... damn 20.5gb disk doesn't like LILO (Linux partition starts
on cyl 1723) so I haven't been able to use the dang thing yet :)

Windows installed OK (98 SE), but it doesn't like the NIC and it
blue-screens when trying to use the sound card.  Haven't tried the sound
in Linux yet, but Linux *does* like the NIC at least.  "This device is not
working properly".... no sh*t, eh, Gates??

> -- Chris
> Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
> Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
> * Topic: TBD
> more info: http://www.tlug.gr.jp        Sponsor: Global Online Japan

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer