RE: tlug: Silly Questions.

>Do you use Linux for you Word Processor?

Yes.  I moved to Applixware for Japanese/English when it came
out for Linux.  I don't have a huge amount of stuff stored as
AW files; I plan to take a look at StarOffice when I get a chance.

>Do you use Gimp more than PSP?

I'm not a graphics guy.  Don't even know what PSP stands for
(Photoshop maybe?)

>Do you use, at home, Linux for ppp session more than your Win/NT?

I'm on a University LAN at work, and I use Linux and MS both there.
Outside the office I have email on my phone for emergencies.  If I
need a computing fix, I come in to the office.

>Do you use database in Linux more than applications in Win/NT?

Exclusively Linux.  We started running MySQL here to support a
translation project I've launched.  I wanted to start off with something
scaleable on a stable platform.  I've heard too many horror stories about
what happens to Filemaker or Access when data sets get too big for
them; I didn't look at them, and have no idea even what their
user interfaces look like.

>I decided to ask this question simply because I saw a fact that so many
>peopel write to this Mailing List using e-mail software for Win/NT, not
>to mention my Netscape in this Win98.

I use OLE to read the first cut of my mail as it comes in (and, obviously,
to respond to it).  I pull any mail that survives the delete button onto
a Linux laptop, where I use a (really very fancy) mail splitter to catalog
it for future reference.  I prefer Mutt as a mail client, but folks here
send
me a lot of attachments, and it's handy to be able to read them without
a lot of fuss.  That said, my Linux laptop has a pretty old OS on it, and
newer tools might wean me from OLE again.  Horses for courses.

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD