Re: tlug: OpenSSL and Crypto patents

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 09:51:30AM -0800, Scott M. Stone wrote:

> Openssh since it uses 3DES/Blowfish is not affected by this stuff BTW.

OpenSSH's very existence is on shaky legal ground, the last I heard.  It's
based on a rather ancient version of ssh v1 that had a license that could be
vaguely construed to be compatible with the BSD license.

That, coupled with the fact that it's a Theo deRaadt[1] production, would keep
me away from it, if I were thinking of putting it in a distribution.

-- Chris

[1] Theo is evil.  He has attained a level of evilness that usually takes many
    lifetimes of continual naughtiness to reach.  A _lot_ of people stay away
    from OpenBSD because Theo runs it.  Imagine Dan Bernstein on serious
    hallucinogens, and you'll be close ;)
Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD