Re: tlug: OpenSSL and Crypto patents

On Mon, 31 Jan 2000, Austin K. Kurahone wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've taken GFL off /dev/backburner (Yep it's a block device) and  I'm
> estimating that I should be in Beta/RC RSN.  However, I've just hit a
> major ethical dilemma.
>
> Since I'm including w3m and openssh I'm going to need to use openssl, the
> free crypto library.  With this ofcourse comes the issue of patents.  The
> ones in question are AFAIK the IDEA algorithm and the RSA patented stuff.
>
> I suppose I could just cut out the IDEA and RSA algorithm although I'm
> worried that it might affect w3m's functionality as a browser.  Since the
> RSA patents expire on Sept 17th this year, and also cuz it's a US patent
> and I'm in Japan, I don't care, but regarding IDEA, what should I
> do???(The patent will expire in 2010 and yes it is patented in Japan).
>
> Openssh since it uses 3DES/Blowfish is not affected by this stuff BTW.
>
> Questions? Comments?

I would do one of two things:

1.  Ignore the problem, since it's only ethics[1]
2.  Take w3m and all related openssh/openssl stuff OUT and just tell
people where to get it in your README

[1]  I'm not being facetious -- it seems to me to be a minor ethical
problem at worst, but that's MY perspective.  I don't really have ethical
problems with the copyright/free software/RMS stuff.  But then again,
maybe I don't fully understand this issue.

Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD