Re: tlug: Linux DVD

Austin K. Kurahone writes:
 > Marc Wrote:
 > >So, have you tried to do the DVD thing on a non-greenfrog setup yet?
 > Don't have one at the moment.... (My main devel box has a 0.4a and 0.5a
 > hybrid, all my other boxen either run various Greenfrog releases, I have
 > one 486 redhat box and the rest run Sparc NetBSD).  I can't see how this
 > is a problem though...
 >
 > Marcus wrote:
 > >You also have to be sure that your DVD is encrypted. There are some
 > >DVDs that are not encrypted. There is a program out there which can
 > >test that for you, I forget the name (or maybe its an option on nist).
 > nist dies with a segfault after spewing tons of errors, and xmovie just
 > hangs.   I'm fairly inclined to think that from the limited output I got
 > from css-cat'ing the vob onto my hardisk that it was doing decryption
 > work, (Plus the "Authenticated" displayed when doing the tstdvd also
 > indicates this...)
 >
 > Will I be correct in assuming that the coutnry code of my DVD should have
 > nothing to do with this??? (Although since I did play my DVD's with
 > windows for a while it should be set correctly..)

Country code shouldn't be a problem since this is only a bit that has
to be checked by the player soft- or hardware, unless you have a third
generation DVD-ROM which also checks the country code by itself.
The Linux software players don't support country code ;-).

What kind of CPU do you have. I tried it with a Dual Pentium III 450, where
nist ran without problem ( in this case it was a binary I got from the
net) and on my notebook with a Pentium 233 MMX ( here I had to
recompile the source). On the notebook it was a little sloooooow, but
what do you expect. If you use mpeg2dec it is supposed to be a lot
faster, since they have included a lot more optimization. Maybe you
should download a free vob somewhere and try if that works (maybe at
http://www.trailer-inside.de/). I just got the Star Trek Trailer and
it plays fine with nist on my notebook (mpeg2player -na -vob -f
<filename>  (no audio so I won't disturb my hardworking coworkers)).
It also works with mpeg2dec, but is much slower (extract_mpeg2
<filename> | mpeg2dec -). I have no DVD right now, but I will try it
at home.

Regards

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
ZPR/ZAIK
Universitaet zu Koeln              Tel.   : +49 221 470 6010
Weyertal 80                        Fax    : +49 221 470 5160
D-50931 Koeln, Germany             e-mail : mocm@example.com
"Linux is like a wigwam - no windows, no gates, apache inside!"
Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD