Re: tlug: Gateway P3-500 is freaking me out (install)

I bought GP7-600 last year (around Dec.?) from Gateway, and tried to install
Redhat 6.1 , but I could not.

I think that your IDE is Promise Ultra ATA 66, and its card is slotted in
the PCI. First, please make sure that the PC has Promise Ultra ATA 66 card.

I got boot image file and other filesfrom Promise(http://www.promise.com/),
and tried to install Redhat.
On the way, install procedure hanged up.

Second time, I removed  Promise Ultra ATA 66 card from PC , and IDE hard
drive connected to IDE interface on mother board.
Redhat Linux 6.1 recognized my hard drive , but in the procedure(formating
the partition) install procedure also hanged up.

My IDE hard drive over 30GB. It seems tha Linux is unsutable for very
large IDE. If anyone knows how to settle the problem, please tell me on
this mailing list.

In the result, I changed the original IDE hard drive to 8GB IBM hard
drive I already had before , and installed Redhat Linux 6.1 and now
running.

I'm glad that this information is helpful for you a little.

Thanks

Shuzo Ishihara
ishihara@example.com

In message <Pine.LNX.4.10.10001251905560.2050-100000@example.com>
   ""Scott M. Stone" <sstone@example.com>" wrote:

>OK, so a coworker of mine wants to install Linux by FTP over the T1.  He
>says, "let's do TurboLinux, since I like the way your Linux box is set
>up".  "OK", I say.
>
>So we boot the damn thing.  We tried two different versions of TL, one
>with a 2.2 kernel and one with a 2.0.  Neither one would see ide0
>(primary), but *would* see ide1.  VERY odd.  So we go into the CMOS.  CMOS
>doesn't see the disks on ide0 either!  But, if we exit cmos and boot,
>Win98 boots fine from the primary master HDD on /dev/hda.
>
>So what's up?  Gateway's got some funky "OnBoot" loader in there, which
>might account for it..?  I'm perplexed.  His /dev/hdb is blank, though,
>since he bought it expressly for installing Linux, so we're going to try
>moving that thing to /dev/hdd, on the controller that Linux *can* see, and
>see if that works.
>
>Any ideas as to what's going on??

>Scott M. Stone, CCNA <sstone@example.com>
>UNIX Systems and Network Engineer
>Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD