Re: tlug: automated login & startx, etc

BOTi wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm new on this list so I guess I should introduce myself. My name is
> Botond Botyanszki, I'm studying comp science at Kobe University as a
> monbusho scholarship student. I've been using linux for about 3 years
> now. My current distro is mandrake-jp. A couple days ago I stumbled into
> the Tlug website and was surprised to see that this list is in English.
> Now that I'm through with the formalities let me ask some questions.
>
> 1)
> Since I'm the only user of my home computer I'd like to get X started as
> user boti without logging in.  I'm kinda tired of logging in every time
> and wait for X to load up.
> I've been looking for a solution to this but still haven't found one
> yet.
> I tried to put the following line into /etc/inittab :
> 1:2345:once:/bin/su -m - boti -s /bin/bash -m /usr/X11R6/bin/startx
> But it doesn't work correctly because X needs a shell with job control
> and bash started up this way has no job control.
> Any ideas?

I used to do this at my home computer. It was a while ago so I
don't remember exactly but it was something like:

Add
1:12345:once:/bin/login <user> STARTX=YES </dev/tty1 >/dev/tty1
2>/dev/tty1
to inittab and then do the startx command from your
.profile or first call to .bashrc or something.

To make this automatic you can not have a password :-(.

NOTE! This is from memory so I am not 100% sure about
the inittab line. And I remember there where a few "gotchas".
I would recommend the xdm way and take the trouble to
enter your user name and password. This is what I do today.

/Fredric
Next Nomikai Meeting: February 18 (Fri) 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae
Next Technical Meeting:  March 11 (Sat) 13:00 Temple University Japan
* Topic: TBD