tlug: It was PATH. Re: Partial execution of /etc/rc.d/rc.M

> During the system bootup, the init script /etc/rc.d/rc.M is partially executed.
> The last 3rd of the file does not get executed. When I run those remaining commands
> manually, they work fine. Why is that happening?
>
> Assuming there are some hidden characters in the rc.M file, I deleted the problem
> portion of the file, and retyped them. That did not help either. If there are some
> hidden characters in a text file, how do I find them out?

Thanks to everyone who replied. The problem is now resolved. I have upgraded from
Slackware 4 to 7.

The init scripts now require the PATH variable be defined in the script at the
begining. This is true for every script and children scripts and down. This was
not true in Slackware 4 and earlier versions. I don't know why the change.

Thanks again for many useful suggestions to resolve the problem.

Subba Rao
subb3@example.com
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/

 => Time is relative. Here is a new way to look at time. <=
http://www.smcinnovations.com
Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)