Re: tlug: problems with netscape 4.7 japanese

On Sun, 16 Jan 2000, Jerome Limozin wrote:

> What's wrong with netscape mailer? besides the bugs that annoy me, I
> didn't see any fundamental problem.
> It works quite nicely.

It's slow, cumbersome, buggy as all get out, no power features (just
try using it for a high-volume roll account like postmaster),
supports HTML email (a crawling evil), etc.  I used to have a longer
laundry list when I used it, but I've forgotten some of its bad points
with time.

> > Both Pine and Mutt have Japanese patches available, if you want to use
> > either of those.

The Pine that comes with TurboLinux is Japanese-patched, so you can just
grab the RPM for that one.  I would expect Laser Linux and most/all
other Japanese distros to also have it.  Kikutani-san's mutt patch and
instructions for setting up Japanese mutt are available (in English) at:

<URL:http://kondara.sdri.co.jp/~kikutani/mutt-e.html>

I'm not aware of any RPM of Japanese-patched mutt, although there is a
link to a binary Debian package on the page listed above.  However,
applying the patch and compiling is fairly straighforward.

> BTW, I removed netscape 4.7J and installed the one you recommend (4.51J
> from laser5). It works quite better. much more stable, but still not
> perfect.

I just heard from my dad that he has found the English version of
Netscape 4.7 to also be rather unstable, so this doesn't seem limited to
Muriyari only.  With the 4.51 version, I've found that if I run with
Java and Javascript off and exit Netscape at least once daily, crashes
become fairly rare.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: January 14 (Fri) 19:00
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)