Re: [Lingo] Usually Kanji in 国語 dictionary

On 10 November 2015 at 12:58, steve <sjs@example.com> wrote:
> As far as I can see, my Sanseidou 大辞林 dictionary doesn't mark words
> that are usually written only in kana. Am I missing something?

I don't think so.

It's rare for dictionaries to mark that. GG5 for example will sometimes show it
by only using kana in examples of usage.

In JMdict/EDICT we attempt to mark it explicitly with a "uk" (usually
kana) tag. We base this largely on frequency counts from WWW corpora,
which seem to be pretty reliable. Certainly they align well with GG5's
examples.

Jim

--
Jim Breen
Adjunct Snr Research Fellow, Japanese Studies Centre, Monash University